Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Reporting


Sexual harassment and sexual violence (sexual assault, relationship violence, and stalking) are against the law and UC Policy. The UC Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment (SVSH) Policy requires faculty, supervisors, deans, and managers to inform Title IX of any report of sexual harassment or sexual violence they receive from anyone affiliated with the University. The Title IX Office will work with the reporting party to determine how to proceed, with an emphasis on creating safety, connecting parties to resources, and informing parties of their rights and options.   Click here to review the UC Policy.


If you become aware of an incident of sexual harassment, sexual assault, relationship violence, or stalking, you must promptly contact the UCSC Title IX Officer at (831) 459-2462 or If the situation involves any immediate danger to health or safety, call 911 first and contact Title IX later.

You do not need to be certain that the incident constitutes sexual harassment or sexual violence and you should not investigate. The Title IX Officer will assess the information and determine the appropriate next steps. 


You must share with the Title IX Officer whatever information has been shared with you, including the names of any individuals involved, their contact information, and the details of the incident. You should not press the individuals involved for information that they do not want to share.


If a student, staff member, faculty member or other person affiliated with UCSC requests to speak to you confidentially, you can say something like, “I want to help but I want to remind you that I am required to report any incidences of sexual harassment or sexual violence to the Title IX office of the University. I do this because it's my obligation, but more importantly, I do this because I want to be sure that you are kept safe and informed of the resources and your rights and options. Title IX will reach out to you via email and you can decide whether you want to meet with them.”

You should also remind them about confidential resources, for instance “If you want to talk confidentially, the CARE Office and CAPS or the EAP are confidential resources that I can refer you to. If you decide to talk to me, I will do my best to help you and will keep what you say private, only talking to Title IX and my supervisor to ensure that you get the support that you need."


If a person who has experienced sexual violence or sexual harassment tells you they are unsure what to do next, refer them to the confidential CARE Advocates who can help them to explore options and provide support. You can also refer them to additional confidential resources: CAPS if they are a student or the EAP if they are an employee.

You are also required to provide them with a printed copy of the resources and options handout which can be found here. 


If someone wants to formally report an incident of sexual violence or sexual harassment, refer them to the UCSC Title IX Office (831) 459-2462. If someone wants to report a crime, refer them to UCSC Police Department  (831) 459-2231 or the appropriate law enforcement agency depending on where the crime was committed.  Anyone can choose to report to both Title IX and the Police.


To encourage reporting, and because alcohol and other drugs are often involved in sexual violence reports, neither student complainants nor student witnesses in an investigation will be subject to discipline for violations of the student conduct policy at or near the time of the incident with a few exceptions:

  • Conduct placed the health or safety of another at risk
  • Plagiarism, cheating, or academic dishonesty
  • Egregious conduct, such as the sale of drugs or providing alcohol to an under-aged person.


We encourage faculty to include a disclosure statement regarding reporting responsibilities in their syllabi. For suggested language click here